View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #126 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Wow. Just... wow.

You are adding all that electric equipment in the hopes of extracting 20+ HP from the diesel. The electric equipment ALONE can supply nearly 20 HP. If you were to hook up the electric motor as a parallel hybrid instead of a supercharger you could have the 14? HP from the diesel + 19 HP electric = 33 HP vs 20+.
Oh Frank it is always a pleasure

So you came up with the same math I did I guess that is good LOL :-)

This setup I have was built with the ability to make changes as needed so there is a lot of tweakability so to speak built into it. So for instance if I find that 10psi of boost is more than enough for my needs I can swap out the clutch on the E-motor and now I have the ability to use it now also as a Starter motor. Which means that I can use it to power the car as a parallel hybrid like you eluded to in your comment. This motor is large enough that it can power the Centurion on its own. I can also swap out this motor for the Brushless model I have that is much more powerful yet virtually the same size and weight. The brushless model I have peaks out at 30kw or 40hp and upwards of 80 ft/lbs of torque. With some tweaks to the motor you can get them to over 50hp.

Now the reason for the Supercharger is simply to give the diesel more power and greater efficiency over the entire power band while the diesel is in operation. Also it is to test out new potentials and to experiment. I can tell you that this setup will make one serious Genset which in turn could be used for my 3 wheel project as a series hybrid. So there were other intentions as well for building this Electric Supercharger. However the hybrid specifically the parallel setup was what I always had in mind for the Centurion and this setup will allow for it very nicely.

If you want to achieve extreme MPG from and ICE equipped vehicle say upwards of 300mpg than I believe part of your strategy needs to involve a tiny diesel electric hybrid pulse and glide strategy. A small Kubota 2 cylinder parallel hybrid fits into this strategy perfectly. You achieve the greatest MPG gains while the ICE fuel is cut to the engine.

GH