View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 02:03 AM   #2054 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for Sep 18

foc test 20 power up

hit '2'<Enter>, amps go from 0.1 to 1.2 (AC amps to the motor). Voltage phase to phase around 8 or 8.5VAC. command 'a'<Enter> gives voltages for a couple of waves and currents for a couple of waves, then a speed of +00000 rpm. But it's not turning, so I guess that's accurate.

Hit '2'<Enter> 9 more times. Current rises to 13.5. Voltage 12 VAC. The motor shaft is turning now. 'a'<Enter> gives a bunch of values. RPM is -00004. That seems too slow?

Hit '2'<Enter> 2 more times. Current rises to 16. Voltage 16 VAC. The motor shaft is turning quite well now. 'a'<Enter> gives a bunch of values. RPM is still -00004. That is DEFINITELY too slow.

Hit '2'<Enter> 1 more time. Current rises to 17.3. Voltage 16.5. The motor shaft is turning better and faster. 'a'<Enter> gives a bunch of values. RPM is down to +00000. That is wrong.

I spy my temporary fix on the encoder - the wire has slipped off. Press '1'<Enter> 13 times to get the current down to 0.1 and fix the encoder signal again. Run the encoder wiring further from the motor, and across the 24V DC/Dc converter to see if that changes things.

Hit '2'<Enter> 11 times. Current rises to 14.8. Voltage 12.5. The motor shaft is turning about once in 2 or 3 seconds. 'a'<Enter> gives a bunch of values. RPM is +00052. Good! The rpm may be reporting 2X actual. once in 2 seconds is 30 rpm, once in 3 seconds is 20 rpm. 52 rpm should be almost one rev per second.

Hit '2'<Enter> 4 times. Current rises to 20.6. Voltage 14.5. The motor shaft is turning smoothly. 'a'<Enter> gives a bunch of values. RPM is +00577. I'm not sure if that's right. I'd believe 280. The motor shaft is not spinning 10 revolutions per second.

Hit '2'<Enter> 3 times. Current rises to 25.3. Voltage 22. The motor shaft is turning smoothly. 'a'<Enter> gives a bunch of values. RPM is +01818. Then we hit some sort of problem. The motor rpm is no longer consistent - speeds up and slows down. Interference from the DC/Dc converter?

Hit '2'<Enter> 1 time. Current rises to 24-26 but is not consistent. Voltage 50 and fluctuating. The motor shaft is turning faster and slower. 'a'<Enter> capture voltage and current. RPM has dropped to +01410. The speed will be different each time I type 'a'.

Try 'a' again. Current not consistent. Voltage not consistent. The motor shaft is still turning faster and slower, you can feel regen on the motor houseing. 'a'<Enter> looks the same as last time, and so does the current. RPM has risen to +02036.

Try 'a' again. Current is not consistent. Voltage not consistent. The motor shaft is still turning faster and slower, you can feel regen on the motor houseing. 'a'<Enter> looks the same as last time, and so does the current. RPM has dropped to +02028.

Hit '2'<Enter> 2 times. Try 'a' again. Current 26 but is not consistent. Voltage 35 - 55? and not consistent. The motor shaft is still turning faster and slower, you can feel regen on the motor houseing. hold the motor down to the mount and it sometimes goes faster for a short time. 'a'<Enter> looks the same as last time, and so does the current. RPM has dropped to +01931.

Try 'a' again. RPM has risen to +02786.

Try 'a' again. RPM has fallen to +02797.

Shut down the test - need a better signal from the encoder. Shielded instrument cable, proper connector on each end, shield tied to power supply - on the power supply side.

I just read an email from Paul, with a new hex file. I'm not sure what the change was - I epxect that my encoder, or my encoder wiring, or both, are causing these problems that I am seeing.

My encoder is a 21 mm diameter connector, male pins on the encoder, male bolt thread on the connector. So I need a female 21 mm diameter connector with female pins to mate to it. The encoder connector built into the Siemens motor is the same diameter and has the same number of pins ... 12 ... interesting. I'll see what I can find online over the weekend, and at our local electronics store on Monday.

Split foc test 20 into 4 files to fit within files upload limit.

EDIT: add video links
Sep 18 1 - power up without encoder signal https://youtu.be/ytYXP-T6oEM
Sep 18 2 - power up with encoder signal - hunting https://youtu.be/z8oQQWzfYjc
Sep 18 3 - pictures of motor faceplate, encoder, connectors https://youtu.be/CpmoVyA5S8M
Attached Files
File Type: txt foc test 20 - 1.txt (17.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: txt foc test 20 - 2.txt (16.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: txt foc test 20 - 3.txt (16.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: txt foc test 20 - 4.txt (4.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by thingstodo; 09-21-2015 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Add video links