View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
hamsterpower
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
I'm not an expert but I think I can help steer you in the right direction. I'll attempt to answer each of your points.
Quote:
Most of the questions I have pertain to electronics, but include a few other topics:
Is regenerative braking something I should try and include? Your hydraulic drive would have accumulators that help control speed both forward and reverse as well as brakeing, much like electric regen.

Aside from trying to recapture energy, can the electric motor be braked electronically? Yes with full control either way. but see above.

Are there motors available with that would allow me the low end torque and high speed without the use of a gearbox/transmission? Absolutely. Electric motors are ideal for huge low speed torque but some also can attain very high speed with enough voltage.

Aside from weight, what are the primary benefits of using more advanced batteries than say AGM lead acid? Yes, sag, lead acid suffers from voltage sag under heavy load lithium based batteries much less so.

If sticking with a series hybrid, what is the most efficient type of ICE, and what kind of power cycles should it see if all it is doing is basically running a generator? With hydraulic drive a small diesel may be used to pressurize the system or recharge the battery.

Anyway or reason to make the hydraulics do more than simply transmit the energy coming from the electric motor? Hydraulics are very flexible systems. you could do almost any thing you imagination dreams up.