View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #161 (permalink)
Johnny Mullet
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Now that the frame has been finished, I am running out of things to fix right now so I got bored today and decided to make the exhaust appear to be bigger than it really is. This is not an economy mod, but an appearance mod for the car. That tiny little tailpipe on this car makes the rest of it look weak (well, whatever, it is weak), so time to change this and turn it into a "sheep in wolf's clothing" so to speak.

Here is the stock 1 1/2" pipe that comes off the muffler...................

I did not want to cut it since it's part of the muffler and adding a tip is almost impossible because it would stick out too far. I wanted a clean look without modifying the muffler.

I took a piece of 2 1/4" leftover exhaust pipe from the shop scrap pile. I set the bench grinding saw to a 45 degree angle and cut the pipe. I then ground off the rough edges from the cut and held it up to do a visual inspection with it on the car. I set it center with the bumper cutout and tack welded the pipe in place like so................

This allows me to remove it if I ever have to for some odd reason and the last edge of the muffler pipe can be cut so it looks stock again. Here is the after pictures............

Scrap exhaust pipe = $0.00
Total time = 30 minutes

Total cost = $0.00

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?

Last edited by Johnny Mullet; 07-30-2008 at 10:24 PM..