View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Donahue
EcoModding Lurker

White Lightning - '04 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.5 mpg (US)
Well, I mounted up new tires yesterday at my buddies house. I aired them up to 50, and they seem to drive nice. I didn't want to spend the money on mounting and balancing so I did it myself. It took a couple of hours, but once we got the system down, we were able to work in a mini assembly line. These tires were fairly light and pliable. With 50 psi I can still push them in with my thumb a little at the sidewalls. FYI, in case anyone is wondering about balancing, I used 1.75 oz of copper plated BB's in each tire to dynamically balance them. They are very smooth above about 5-10 mph and it makes a cool maracas sound when you come to a stop. I bought a pack of 6000 BB's, and it used so few that I could probably do another 20 sets of tires this small before I ran out. My memory had been playing tricks on my from the last time is used this method, and put about 16 oz in each tire of that blazer on 38's. I was basing the number off the rule of thumb, 1 oz per 10 lbs of tire weight. These tires were 16 lbs, and I rounded up to 1.75 oz each. It was basically a single layer deep on a typical 1 cup measuring cup, though we did use a scale to actually measure them. So far I am liking the tires.

Next is some electrical stuff, but I might put that off for a few months, we just had the offer for our first house accepted, and I might wait until we move in a few months.