Thread: EPA may fine VW
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Right !!! F the gubmint in all that blue sky crap. I preefer my skies to be gray...

( * sarcasm )
CA smog has been vastly improved since the 80s. NOx is not the problem it once was, so CARBs emission standards for diesel pollution is outdated, especially in light of other countries more relaxed standards for the more transitory pollutants.

I'm not saying there should be no standards, just that they should actually benefit health without imposing significant financial burdens on manufacturers/consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The thing is other companies as far as we know can pass without a cheat.
Actually, no other brands were able to even offer a diesel in a passenger vehicle for most of the past 2 decades because they couldn't pass the odd emission regulations the US imposes. Cheating the system likely gave VW a strategic advantage in that it had no competitors until very recently.

They ought to be fined for cheating the rules and having the monopoly, however our emission laws also ought to be revised. The current fad is to be paranoid about CO2, which is a long lasting "pollutant", and the types of pollution that diesels struggle to reduce are shorter lived in the air.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!