Thread: EPA may fine VW
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #28 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
CA smog has been vastly improved since the 80s. NOx is not the problem it once was, so CARBs emission standards for diesel pollution is outdated, especially in light of other countries more relaxed standards for the more transitory pollutants.

I'm not saying there should be no standards, just that they should actually benefit health without imposing significant financial burdens on manufacturers/consumers.

Actually, no other brands were able to even offer a diesel in a passenger vehicle for most of the past 2 decades because they couldn't pass the odd emission regulations the US imposes. Cheating the system likely gave VW a strategic advantage in that it had no competitors until very recently.

They ought to be fined for cheating the rules and having the monopoly, however our emission laws also ought to be revised. The current fad is to be paranoid about CO2, which is a long lasting "pollutant", and the types of pollution that diesels struggle to reduce are shorter lived in the air.
Funny, I suppose the ban of lead based fuel and cars not running rich 100% of the time has absolutely nothing to do with the decrease in smog - eyeroll-. The emissions standards now are absolutely ridiculous. In CA my Mustang has 4 cats, I can cut 2 off and STILL pass the sniffer. It's all a money making scheme. C.A.R.B. Is an absolute joke.