View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #84 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Also, I don't know why people complain so much about the handling. I'm never the slow one going around a corner, and it's handled emergency swerve maneuvers just fine. The handling is certainly no worse than a Camry, Outback, or most any other standard sedan.
I don't get it either. Most people drive on the street only, have never really experienced their cars' limits (the ones that do, crash because...they're on a street) and complain about or want to improve "handling" because they're following convention. Over on Priuschat, I see many, many posts on installing chassis braces, strut tower braces, and rear sway bars, but no real understanding of what these things are for and what they do. Placebo effect being what it is, nearly everyone who drops the coin claims a revelatory "handling" experience, and the next crop of would-be modders reads their posts and continues the cycle. Meanwhile, no one cares about spring and damper rates, natural suspension frequency, or driving techniques because, OMG look at my new chassis brace my car handles like its on rails!!!111 #handlesonrails

The reality is, the Prius handles just fine for a street car. One of these days, I might take it autocrossing and see what it does at its limits (I'm betting more-than-typical understeer and, with the torsion-beam, a lot of inside-rear-tire lifting stock), but I'm in no rush.