View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
High voltage cable

Today I constructed and tested the high voltage part of the car harness:

What you see here is a fully assembled and tested high voltage cable for the car harness.
Let me rephrase that: MY high voltage cable.
When I had that thought it sent a tingling sensation up my spine

On top of the terminal mounts are relay sockets and relays (I can swap them out if need be). Placed straight above the IMA connection terminals, they limit the high voltage on the wires to that area if the relays are not powered.

On the right the roll of orange isolation tape I used to color the cable housing. The OEM high voltage cables were given a likewise treatment by Honda so I just follow suit

The control unit is an old Philips spare lamp box that held a set that did not match any vehicle I have ever owned. I'm doing it a favor
The high voltage cable has a electric tube clamp on it inside the box. A proper wire protector like the battery boxes have would stress the thin plastic shell of the control unit too much.
The wires to the Anderson connectors have no pull protection as I plan to mount both connectors and control unit firmly on a fixed something.
Everything will be double isolated anyway, heat shrink over any connection etc.

The list of things to do is getting really short now! Connecting the 12V switch, fuse and voltmeter in the box, routing the cable and 12V source cable, finding a nice spot for the 12V fuse somewhere close to the 12V source (the IMA system ventilator control unit btw)... that's all.

I may improve on some details.
I'll reopen the battery boxes after the first test run to monitor cell voltage then and during first real charge - but also to bunch up the BMS wires with the plastic organizer backing strips, to triple the inner cell connectors with the spare plates I have (now all connections are doubled, but tripling them lowers the internal resistance ever so slightly) and improve on the isolation around the lid edge; which is the only area where the box shell is exposed; theoretically a loose wire could short there and create havoc.

I'll have to work out the details of placing all the standard tools in the remaining boot space, so I can still use the boot floor in its lowest position without compromising space in any way. After the first tests.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.