View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mulder25
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
"Regenerative" Air-Conditioning - an extension thereof

I have seen this thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ort-23025.html
And read the tip about cycling, and when best to cycle the a/c..
This is a thread about an extension of that. I have used this technique as a way of recovering expent energy in a useful manner when cooler air is desired but not required, and in the winter, as simply a way to amplify the effects of engine braking, or when just a slight brake is needed when in cruising gear.
A manner in which the concept could be developed to implement this function automatically. There are hundreds of variables needed to make it as efficient as possible, ranging from driving behavior, speed limits, headway, lead car deceleration rate, etc. Many of these variables would require the use of radar technology and the various "driver assist" features found on some luxury vehicles. The technology is there, but the cost to implement is too high, especially for someone looking to increase fuel economy for personal reasons.
However, looking towards the future, when these features and technology are standard, this concept can be employed, not as a way to save money, but as a way to reduce one's carbon footprint, something everyone should be concerned about, whether you are driving a Metro, or a Mustang.
So, as a concept, the system monitors headway as well as lead vehicle speed and rate of change using radar technology. Simultaneously the system uses GPS systems and internet access to an updatable database containing information about speed limits to determine the speed limit of the roadway you are on and the speed at which you are travelling. The system maintains a log of previous behavior to determine if you tend to exceed the limit by a reasonable amount or stay below the limit. The system maintains a log of outside temperatures, inside temperatures, thermostat settings, etc. to determine what the driver/passengers desire the temperature to be.
I could go on and on about my ideas for when the system activates the AC clutch, but that is unnecessary - anyone who has read this far, is probably already thinking the same thing as I.
I don't know if this could ever be taken to market. I don't know how legally binding this statement is either, but "all rights reserved" If this goes as far as I imagine, I want it on the record for the patent office.

I am looking now, for people to shoot holes in my idea - a devil's advocate... People who want to add on, or help with the idea... I guarantee, if this becomes a "thing", going to patent, to market, etc. All those who helped will be compensated appropriately and/or become a part of the company.
Reserving "eco-Conditioning" now..