View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder25 View Post
I don't know how legally binding this statement is either, but "all rights reserved" If this goes as far as I imagine, I want it on the record for the patent office.
It's been a while since I've had anything to do with IP rights but I'm pretty sure that posting it on a forum puts it in the public domain and prevents you or anyone else patenting it.

I have done exactly the opposite to what you have attempted to do; by emailing a question to someone in the industry pertinent to the IP that included the idea, I've put it in the public domain. That was to avoid someone else coming upon the same idea independently and patenting against me. Obtaining a patent is expensive and time consuming - neither of which I wanted to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
When driving with the AC, I first off, always use the recirculating feature. Why bring in new hot air? I also take advantage of regenerative cooling by hitting the AC button while coasting down hill in DFCO mode. I also will turn the AC off if I am trying to call on all of the focus' 130 ponies. I refer to this as "turbo boost" mode.
It may not be as clear cut as that. The occupants of the A/C space produce heat and humidity. It may take less energy to cool warm dry air than cooler humid air from inside the car.

It is possible to calculate what proportion of outside air to recirculated air requires the least energy to provide a given air temperature and humidity if the outside and inside air conditions are known.

I have a cut out switch for the A/C on the brake pedal with a timer. The A/C is disabled unless the brake pedal is depressed. A brush of the brake pedal will engage the A/C for about 10 seconds (the time is adjustable).

It does need an override for highway travel where brake application is rare. I don't do much highway driving but if I did I would probably add in a switch tied to the TPS or MAP sensor to cut out the A/C at large throttle openings or load and use the A/C to help balance engine load, like this:

AutoSpeed - Auto Air Conditioner Controller