View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

I applaud you wanting to experiment. Please make sure that you carefully account for things that could affect your fuel economy in your experiment. If nothing else, make sure you do a lot of repeat testing with and without your modification. (See the post on "A/B/A Testing" on one of the other forums around here for some examples of how to do that.)

If you are merely looking at this technology to see if it does or does not work with your own eyes, then bravo to you. If you are looking to actually save gas, I would encourage you to look elsewhere for results. (How you drive generally has many times more effect on your fuel economy than anything you can do to your vehicle mechanically.)

The theory that the vapor systems work on is flawed. More than 99% of the fuel that goes into the engine is actually burned; it does not go through the engine unchanged. Even if changing the fuel into vapor helps it burn more completely, you're talking about less than 1% possible improvement.

Regardless of if it works or not, if you do implement it, please let us know the results. I'm pretty sure the results will be "no improvement" or "worse in some way", but you may find something that everyone else has missed. (Except people trying to make a buck selling such systems, of course.)

-soD

The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
holzhoechi (09-25-2015)