View Single Post
Old 09-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Well, I'm still dreaming of this project but unfortunately life keeps getting in the way. I'm gathering quite a collection of forklift parts though that I think have gotten me a little closer. I recently got to wreck out an old Hyster with two good motors (11" and a 7") and a EV100ZX controller. I've been looking into this controller and thinking it might actually work not too bad. If so, it would cut a major expense out of the budget. It's a dinosaur but it's built like a tank and rather impressive in it's own way. At 80v nominal, it should allow me a 96-98 volt pack fully charged and 600amps. It has 1A contactor control (up to 1200amps)and field weakening which should give a boost in low end power and in top speed. There is even on demand power steering control built in.
I know low voltage conversions are going to be speed limited but I'm now thinking that if I want to have any hope of ever actually building something, I will need to lower my expectations. I really only need a 80kph car anyway and I think it should work. Any thoughts on how well it would work? It doesn't look like very many have tried using one of these in a car so not much to compare to.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km