View Single Post
Old 09-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #113 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
redneck's is a good example to follow. It seemed light and stout.

So what happens between 85 and 90%? Prius tail lights?

I'd would think drop pants down behind the rear wheels and make the tail a half-circular arc. The outside follows The Template and the inside is an exponential horn to couple with the base pressure. aerohead can probably falsify this if necessary, I think the base [low-]pressure communicates forward through the horn and accelerates the air moving under the car. Produces downforce without drag. Maybe.

It could work, with red and amber LED strip lighting.
I got in trouble at Bonneville with the CRX trying to get away with this.As it turned out,the stern pressure (because of the boat tail) was higher than the flow upstream under the diffuser,causing the air to flow forwards and tripping the flow.
If one had access to a full-scale tunnel,you might be able to carefully tune this area,but I don't think you could do it outside a wind tunnel.
Racers are using such steep diffusers,that there's no pressure recovery,and a low pressure does communicate forwards underneath to create some down-force,but with a drag penalty.Ferrari will spend $100,000 dinkin' around with this stuff to shave a fraction of a second off a lap time.