View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
BobS
diesel doer

Just checking back in from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Built a 4X8 harbor freight trailer (made by Lego?) and a 4 X 8 X 20" high box for it. When loaded, I suspect the trailer was only 500-600 lbs. To pull it, ended up with a 1990 VW Jetta 1.6 diesel. Love the car but it is underpowered. Set my personal speed at 55-60 for the trip. But...
when going over the west Texas hill country on US10, every big rise has a big dip in front of it and to keep a decent speed for the following cars, I had to speed up to 70-75 coming out of the dip - not very ecomodder. Still, I was able to post 39 mpg which was
amazing to me given the constant vertical changes of the road. I swear that my horizontal distance traveled was the same distance as my vertical displacements. I have lived in super flat Florida since age 14 and had no real feel for the rest of the world being so terribly bumpy. Total shock.
Unfortunately, the Rockies get bigger west of El Centro, California so that is where the trailer is stored. The mountains doubled in height and I just wasn't taking on that challenge. But I and my dog, Buddy Boo, pressed on all the way to Cabo, motelling all the way and my little VW gave such a performance - 4000 miles in a 25 year old car and not even the slightest problem. It was giving me mpg in the high 50's without the trailer,
even tho the terrain was equally vertical in Mexico. I wish I had found that car 20 years ago.
Just want to say thanks for all the great suggestions that I got here. They really did help.