View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
General wisdom of ecomodder says higher pressure = to better MPG, but the question I am contemplating, is there such thing as too much? .......
While I don't think anyone disagrees that there is an upper limit (after all, the tire will burst due to excessive pressure!), there have been long and at times acrimonious discussions on how high is too high.

Among the things that come along with excessive inflation pressure is a reduction in traction, groove wander, harsh ride, and uneven wear.

I am of the opinion that tire pressure needs to be referenced to the vehicle spec pressure, not what it says on the sidewall and I think anything over 5 psi is excessive.

Quote:
RT43s are non-LRR tire, but they were designed with "Low surface abrasion technology (LSAŽ)" belts to reduce wear/friction. Would this also mean that at some point higher pressure will change the shape of the contact patch and increase the abrasion?
Sort of. Increasing inflation pressure changes the shape of the footprint regardless of who makes the tire and what technology they employ.

Quote:
Well this is a 2000lbs car. 50psi would be equivalent of 75psi in 3000lbs car, correct? .....
No that is NOT correct. While the load curve on tires is fairly linear, it is NOT proportional.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
mcrews (09-30-2015)