View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 12:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
If only Win XP was still supported, I'd give a lot to have it! It had the best of both worlds: Not as old-fashioned as the previous versions, but still simple. More control, less resource hogging.
That's maybe the best thing about Linux: a large part of the system is a defined standard. You can upgrade the internals all you want to improve performance, but the basic interface stays the same. And GUIs &c are user level programs on top of that, so it's up to you which one you run. (I think there's even one that mimics WinXP.)

In fact, I ran into one of those changing user interface problems just this weekend. I have a bunch of pictures (JPEG format) on a thumb drive that I need to get onto my neighbors' Windoze PC. It's one of those all-in-one things (HP, IIRC) running a recent Windoze. So I finally figured out how to see the thumb drive, and view the pictures on it, but I simply can't figure out how to copy them to the machine and put them in the correct directory so they can view them there.