View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Other Andy
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
I do like the virtual box idea, I may have to set that up.

Frankly, I find all of the Vista hate and XP love rather funny. I always found Vista to be a very nice improvement over XP, which had a nasty habit of going BSOD if you so much as looked at it wrong.

Considering how many people like Windows 7 (Vista with an ugly taskbar), I doubt many of the haters actually used Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
All five of my computers are running some version of Linux. Two are also dual boot with Windows XP. One (the one I'm using right now) is dual boot with Windows 7 (though I'm using Linux right now). Automatic updates are turned off on all my Windows operating systems.

I almost always use Linux when on the internet. I have a manual switch which connects the desired computer to the internet. If I'm not actively on the internet, the switch is turned off so there is no hardware internet connection. My modem is also only turned on when I'm actively on the internet.
I've been a fan of Linux for some time too. I started out with Ubuntu 7.04 and have jumped around distros quite a bit. Unfortunately my laptop has very poor hardware support from any Linux distro, so that's Windows-only.

I just installed Zorin on the desktop, to dual-boot with Windows. I'll likely be using this for nearly all of my internet-ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markweatherill View Post
You can still have it. Just use a third-party antivirus and web browser.

As an aside, I remember the days of the 'it's now safe to turn off your computer' screen. But I don't particularly miss them!
Ah, the good old days. I stumbled on a forum not too long ago of people still using Windows 9X. They're modding it and everything. Figure that out.