View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
sealing the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdbilder View Post
For hot weather application, perhaps you should look into removing some sealing close to the windshield. This seems to seal the engine when the hood is closed. Removing this allow hot air to escape your engine bay and move right over your windshield. I think this sealing it is to keep the heat in during winter. Since I live in the tropics I removed mine. It helps to increase air flow across the radiator as the engine bay is not entirely closed. If the engine bay is closed, there is a drop in differential pressure across the rad. When there is a drop in differential pressure, flow across the rad also reduces. Be sure to put the sealing back on in winter.
The ventilation intake is at the base of the windshield.If you remove the weather stripping you'll allow hot air from the engine bay access to the cabin.
It defeats the fresh air.
The carmaker took into account the delta-P across the heat exchanger during development of the car,based upon the 'production' architecture.The seal was engineered into the system.
If you're racing,you might be obsessed with underhood heat,as it affects charge density and horsepower,but for a daily driver or ecomodding,you'd be thinking about tuned extractors which would require a full-scale wind tunnel for proper development.