View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Oilpan... the 3 mpg number you speculate fits nicely with the 2 or 3mpg I thought I saw jn my Civic after removing the PS system.

Or an electromagnetic clutch for the pulley like most alternators have now. The ECU could just disengage the pulley under certain conditions, as it does a "smart" alternator. "Smart" pulley driven power steering pump is born. Could put such a pulley on an "on/off" switch too and ckntrol it from the dash. So you would only draw power from the engine at the low RPMs that oilpan is saying draw very little power. But his test was without turning the steering wheel, so wouldn't turning the wheel increase power draw somehow?
I would love to do a power steering clutch but the problem is finding something like an air conditioner clutch that will fit my type of power steering pump.
I believe a 1970s keyed straight shaft pump for a truck or a pump with a tapered keyed shaft form late 1960s and 70s car may fit up to a modern A/C clutch. But no auto parts stores carry these pumps they would have to order one just to find out.
The pump internals are pretty much the same since they are all Saginaw style pumps, just some time by the late 70 or early 80s some one at GM came up with the great idea to make all power steering pumps take a press fit pulley.

We know the power steering hydraulic system uses much more power when the wheel is being turned. Off road guys have to install power steering coolers because they can over heat the system pitching the wheel back and forth. I have seen burned up black power steering fluid come out of an off road vehicle with an OEM power steering setup and a power steering reservoir "boil over" before.
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (10-05-2015)