View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
HowGudAmI
EcoModding Lurker

Clio - '03 Renault Clio 1.5dCi
90 day: 48.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
The European fuel numbers are hard to beat. But it is possible.

Take a look at my car.

Best tank of this summer is 5,2l/100km.
1302km on the odo with around 72l to fill up.
Aha I am going to give it a shot! 4.2l/100km is what I need to hit the combined rating... which would give me a 1100km range on 46-47 litres (tank capacity is 50).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
My Kangoo has EPAS, everything continues to work while EOC (the odo does loose miles though so I use GPS for that). The kill switch is really just for LHD vehicles where the ignition switch is on the right, so they have to kill the ignition and shift with the same hand. If the Clio is anything like the Kangoo, the wiring is extremely difficult to get at.

With a turbo diesel, EOC is probably not worth the savings vs potential risk of turbo damage. I used to EOC the T5 sometimes but only if the turbo had already been given a good chance to spool down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Exactly. That's why I only kill the engine when rolling to a red light, or when I know that I'll get close to 1 km of EOC (my record is 6km in the Alps). Shorter distances are just not worth it.
Thanks both - sounds like it probably won't be worth it...

I have just been looking at my semi-regular 38 mile commute. Just over 30 miles of it is motorway which I should be able to get pretty consistent cruising speeds on. The remainder of the miles have posted speed limits of 30, 40 and 50 - which I would be following where traffic allows.

Most of my motorway miles have been at around 70-75 up to now, unless traffic dictated less.

Focussing purely on that 30 mile section for a minute - If I cruise at 70-80mph (averaging 75) - I should cover 30 miles in 24 minutes.

If I cruise at 65-75 (averaging 70) it would take 25 minutes 43 seconds. At this speed, I would still be moving relatively well with the flow of traffic.

If I go for 60-70 (averaging 65), I would cover the distance in 27 minutes 42 seconds. This speed would be problematic because I would be moving faster than the lorries, but would be holding people up whilst overtaking them.

Finally, there is 55-65 (averaging 60) - It would take 30 minutes but would be a 'better' drive than the 60-70 option, because I would be cruising along with the HGVs (which would also encourage me to slow uphill and speed up down, as they do).

I intend to give the 60ish MPH option a go today, for the sake of leaving 5 minutes earlier, I could probably see a 20% improvement in MPG (rough guess from the 14% decrease in speed).