View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
ocnorb
EcoModding Lurker

R2 - '13 Chevy Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 20764 mpg (US)
There seems to be a missing element in these calculations. Most of us are looking to replace a 10+ year old vehicle with a newer Leaf. How do you do the math on the unknown cost of repairs for the old car (or for a used Leaf)?

My daughter has a 2013 that she pays less than $200 a month for. Compared to the Jeep she was driving, the fuel savings put her in a nearly free car. She loves it.

My wife has 2012 Leaf that was under 10K that she used to replace her 13 year old Jetta TDI. She likes the car, but seems to have a hard time predicting miles and is afraid to go places that she could easily make. She is not as happy about the overall purchase, but does like that she burns no gas for her commute.

I like that they don't have to check the oil or worry about filters, belts, etc. Its basically tires, brake checks and windshield wipers unless something big lets go.

The real benefit of these cars to hobby builders will be OEM quality parts becoming available from wrecks and broken EVs in the next few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to ocnorb For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (10-07-2015)