View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Hey, all. This is maybe a silly time to bring up my iPhoto questions since I`m within a week[1] of switching from my Mac Mini to a Windows system, but that involves moving my stuff over somehow. The most pressing information I`m looking for[2] is whether I need any specific kind of external hard drive for use as a moving vehicle. I think files are files, but not sure, so before I run out and spend $60 or so on a piece of equipment that won`t work for me, I`d better ask.[3] And since I`m asking, would loading them all onto a portable hard drive, then onto the new computer really be a reasonable way of transfering?[4] I`m thinking it might be a good idea to buy a backup drive anyway, so might as well pick one up now and use it for moving.
  1. What version of Mac OSX and what version of Windows?
  2. ...is likely why and how to turn off automatic updates and how to prevent everything you do being immediately mirrored into the cloud.
  3. I suggest a USB 3.0 external drive that is powered from the USB port, for convenience.
  4. If you use Mac OSX's Time Machine backup software it will create something it calls a 'sparse bundle' on the backup drive, that require a username and password to mount. That would be problematic under Windows. You could use Finder/File/Compress "ƒoldername" to make a ZIP file; or if you have a CD or DVD burner then Finder/File/Burn "ƒoldername" to disk...