View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
WindyDrew
AC Customs car builder

S10 - '99 Chevy S10 Base
90 day: 23.5 mpg (US)

Purple People Eater - '95 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Volt - '14 Chevy Volt Premium
90 day: 1680 mpg (US)
I'll pull my pans off today and take pictures. I used an expanding plumbers plug, from the local hardware store. I used an 18 inch pizza pan from amazon but when I measured the wheel, it turns out they are like 20 inches to the rubber. I'll write up a how to tonight.

To the torque hitch, I love mine. I bought one of those aluminum luggage carriers from harbor freight and it works perfect as is. Everything I've put on it so far has been out of the wind stream so it hasn't effected my range. Hauled some oil jugs and it worked likea charm. Way better than leaking on my carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1510 View Post
I just bought my 2014 Volt earlier this year, and I'm in a similar situation. My commute is about 48 miles round trip, and I average about 42 miles per charge. I cringe every time that gas engine comes on with only a mile or two left to go...

How are your pizza wheel covers holding up? Where did you get the expanding plug from? What size? I measured about 1.5" minimum opening, but the inner cavity is larger. Did you take the wheels off and insert the plug from the inside?

I also noticed that the pans look a little too small. I measured a little over 18" to get beyond the lip of the rim. What size are yours?

I've also been looking at hitch mounted cargo boxes. The torque cental invisi hitch seems the most robust and keeps ground clearance, but the boxes I've found will be so high they enter the wind stream. I'd only be using mine on long trips though, not for consistent FE gains.

Last edited by WindyDrew; 10-08-2015 at 04:07 PM..