View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #2167 (permalink)
Thalass
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
To summarize the random thoughts below - I could live with DIP switches if they are only looked at during startup, and if there is a way to tell in software what the readings were for the DIP switches during that last startup.

Random stuff to support above statement:

I went through the data sheet briefly. I don't have the mechanical experience to tell whether '10 to 55 Hz, 1.5-mm double amplitude' is good or bad. I expect that vibrations in a car will be both lower than 10 Hz and higher than 55 Hz ... but I don't actually KNOW.

I have dealt with DIP switches for 25 years on hobby stuff and industrial equipment - Rockwell PLCS, Modicon PLCs, various VFDs. They are GREAT to document what option is selected. As a user interface, they are pretty good ... when they are new and reliable.

When they begin to wear, they are NOT so good. They cause intermittent problems (options changing) so you need to look at them only on start-up, for example. And as they wear, they may look like they are CLOSED but are a tiny fraction of an inch away from closed and appear as OPEN to the controller. It helps a lot if there is a way to log what DIP options are selected - so you can tell WHY the thing appears to go crazy once in a while.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
That's fair. I've only ever seen them in that kind of role: Options for startup code to check. Mostly in aircraft secondary equipment (PA systems, etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thalass For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (10-09-2015), MPaulHolmes (10-09-2015)