View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #2169 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave koller View Post
Not to Brain Fog anyone but I have used rotary BCD (takes four inputs) for years to select options on various embedded microprocessors - some are over 30 years and working still....

Oh I am following along and enjoying your projects!
I like the idea of BCD switches - they're a very compact option.

I would agree w/ thingstodo that using switches would be better than jumpers, and in any case should just be for startup/configuration options.

When you consider the vibration/ thermal cycling / etc. that automotive stuff goes through there's a lot of potential for intermittent problems in the future. It's a serious issue for the OE's - I just heard about someone's VW Touareg that acts like it's posessed because of intermittent connections on it's 3 CAN-bus circuits. I also personally dealt with an intermittent connection problem on a 1997 Toyota 4runner that would cause a fairly high level "check engine" OBDII code. This was a simple little analog temperature sensor on the transmission, but it won't pass emmisions without a clear OBDII output.

If the "intended market" for these controllers is DIY folks who will solder everything themselves, then it seems some "solder in" jumpers would work fine, and be reliable in the long run. The odds of an individual changing feedback methods or other major set-up decisions is low, and they can deal with changing the jumper if they do that.

- E*clipse
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (10-09-2015)