View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
acparker
EcoModding Apprentice

I agree that, while the towed genset is a neat idea, it may be more economical and comfortable to simply rent the appropriate vehicle for the trip.

Speaking of range anxiety, I tried to test drive a used Focus EV at a local dealer. I was about a quarter mile into the test drive, deciding which route to take, when my son, sitting in the back seat, pointed out that the battery meter was telling us we had only one mile left. I didn't quite make it back to the lot when the "stop and park NOW!!!!!" message popped up, so I did. The Focus was plan B. The Fusion Energi that I had wanted to drive would not even start. Not a particularly inspiring experience.

Another anecdote. I was driving I-15 from Riverside back to Utah when I saw a Leaf limping slowly toward the first exit at Victorville. I was guessing that the driver made the trip assuming that the distance was well within the car's range, but had not factored in the steep grade over Cajon Pass.

I could use an EV, as much of the family driving is less than 5 miles round trip, and most can be under 35 mph, which is a killer on the minivan's efficiency, but my wife won't drive a golf cart or an NEV. Interestingly, used Volts are approaching the price (lowest, around $11,000) of used golf carts and NEV's, and about the same as an EV conversion (With a comfortable amount left on the electric component warranty. Once the warranty expires, the price should drop much further). That would take away the range anxiety.