View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Have a beautiful 2013 auto Elantra & now a beautiful 2016 manual Elantra, both with EPA 38mpg highway.....demoted from 40mpg after all the leadfooters complained. Piloted the 2013 auto to 39mpg average calculated mpg with 15% city driving, with highs of 43mpg with more highway driving(tho no long highway drives). Mostly, my wife loves & drives the 2016 manual to work in much more city driving & stop&go traffic, so its mpg can't be compared accurately to the 2013. However, the manual has gotten a number of 40+mpg tanks with occasionally less city driving & a long trip to the ocean & back with stops for pix & beach walking, hilly travel away from the ocean & some stop&go I-5 traffic, got 46mpg. All in all, the auto & manual seem to give ~ the same mpg under similar, feather footing conditions. I love them both.
Had a 2007 Dodge Caliber, which was OK, but I adored the CVT tranny. EPA rated at 27mpg, I averaged 31(calculated) with highs of 37mpg(better than the smaller engined Caliber manual tranny). But the Caliber was outside of warranty, was decreasing in value, any future repair to the CVT was going to be expensive......&.....the Elantra was beautiful, sweet, long warranteed.....did I say beautiful.......