View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
prr
EcoModding Lurker

Highlander - '06 Toyota Highlander Limited 4WD
Why no fast acceleration?

I have just started reading some articles about fuel efficient driving. While I cannot say that I am committed to doing everything that hypermilers seem to do, I have already started backing off my speeds, and staying more off the gas pedal when I see that I need to break up ahead; in just a few days I am now automatically picking out ideal points from which I can coast. I am surprised by how much I’m enjoying this—its almost as if I’m working at a puzzle or something. It sure is making me a safer driver. And a more relaxed one--as well as saving some gas and $.

OK—down to my question. I saw one suggestion, that urged drivers not to accelerate too quickly. What is the reason for not accelerating too quickly? Is it simply that a rapid acceleration chews up more gas than a slower one? Or is it that a rapid acceleration will make it more likely that you will have to break soon?

For example, if I have a clean shot for 1/2 mile—no lights or cars ahead of me or anything—would I still be consuming gas unnecessarily by accelerating rapidly?

The Following User Says Thank You to prr For This Useful Post:
skyking (04-18-2016)