View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
The OP asked an honest question. He was not trolling or selling. You and others have jumped on the "I know more than you, so there". A few have been courteous and provided good discussion that the OP seems to have digested.

holzhoechi, the useful posts pretty much sketch it out - you cannot double or quadruple your mileage via simple vaporization of the gasoline. However, "hot air engines", if properly implemented, can help close the thermal efficiency gap between diesels and gasoline spark ignition engines. Problematically, the subject is highly specialized and involved. Consequently, the application is just as involved. Proof of that is seen in the work of pfgpro and iveyjh and others on this forum. Their "high enthalpy engines" do work but with considerably more effort and skill than simply putting a bubbler bottle in the intake of your engine.

I repeat what others have said about seeking economy for economical reasons - look to driving techniques and aero improvements before fooling with engine operations. But, if you want to go down the rabbit hole, you are welcome to experiment with us in the world of engine mods.
On my setup I was running a waste solvent system that was heated with coolant and exhaust heat. Then it mixed with compressed turbo air that was above 200*F. At that point the waste solvent was in vapor form and directed about 3" from intake valves. I seen around a 5% increase in fuel mileage. I never tested it with pump fuel but did a evaporation test, pump fuel verses waste solvent and the results were the waste solvent evaporation rate was twice as fast as the pump fuel. I think todays pump fuel has a much stricter VOC requirement and evaporates at a much slower rate then yesterday fuels.

With this said I will say please be careful when building a fuel vapor injection system. While testing this Summer I had a over lean condition from my lean burn system while tuning. The fuel vapor system was enable and I had a intake back fire that caused a explosion and took out my secondary fuel line. After this happen I removed the fuel vapor system and made a promise to myself never to go there again. The likelihood of a intake back fire is very high when running a fuel vapor system. This can kill you and anyone near the vehicle. So be very Careful!!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-12-2015), Xist (10-13-2015)