View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #138 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Mair

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
All respect to aerohead but I'd follow Mair rather than Hucho for the A-arms, for less frontal area.

Wrap the front tube, flat between the tubes and a nice tapered trailing edge. The outer extent of the trailing edge will be limited by the wheel-and-tire swing in near-side turns but the trailing edge could be angled to increase the fineness ratio. The trailing arms would start to act like fences, breaking up vortexes down the side of the car.

Are the steering linkage and brake line above, below or between the upper and lower arm?

Here's the best open-wheel treatment I've seen:

[Imgur is running around with it's hair on fire, I'll edit in the Mariani Farms roadster later]
My comment would be that the Mair contour is for 3D flow about a cylindrical section,or half-body,while the flow between the wheels and body would require a 2D airfoil/strut section,like on aircraft landing gear.
From the table below,we find the drag minimum at the bottom of the curve's 'bucket',at a chord to thickness ratio of 3.92:1

It would fall in between section 4,and 5.
Technically,the section in the center of this following table would satisfy the drag minimum for the 2D flow.

I've done this to my driver's side mirror for a couple months now,and the flow is absolutely perfect coming off the struts,as far as I can tell from tufts.
I'd also use this profile for the plan-view body taper.Some land speed record cars have used it to good effect.