View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
gwahir
EcoModding Lurker

Metro - '90 Geo 2 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
This is sounding very much like what my mechanic told me, actually. (Including the part about how I ~could~ patch it together but probably shouldn't) He basically said things were disfigured badly enough that you couldn't really tell how they were originally.
Yup. It might be hard to get the pully/crankshaft positioned exactly for the weld, but you may luck out and save your rebuilt engine. That is significant! Be sure the weld ground goes to the pully and not to the block. You dont want to be pulling juice through the bearings. If it works, you are golden. If it does not work, replace the crankshaft and the pully, which you would have to do anyway.You own a 92 geo. You are, therefore, a defacto geo mechanic. Get a manual. Get four wrenches; 10, 12, 14, and 17mm. Get dirty. This is not for the timid.
If you want an XFI engine, get your camshaft reground to XFI specs. That is the only significant difference. And you can change it yourself.
I'd sure not buy another engine prior to exhausting possibilities with this one.