View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #207 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cts_casemod View Post

...with 0.006Ohm, if the capacitor is at 11V after a start I = U/R

I = (14.4-11)/0.006
I = 566A
Is that the single capacitor impedance, or the total impedance of 6 capacitors added in series?

Quote:
Standard alternators (excluding special vehicles and marine applications) are voltage regulated, not current. They rely on the high impedance of lead acid batteries for protection. Current is reduced if the regulator temperature is too high, but provide no protection against short term overload conditions.
I believe you, but I'm going to verify this sometime when I am messing around with caps and starting again. The alternator in my TSX varies output modes depending on electrical demands including the state of battery charge.

Quote:
Curious if anyone tried audio caps for that purpose (the ones uses with subwoofer's)?
Audio caps tend to be much lower in capacity and much higher in price.

Quote:
Solar panels often have a regulator circuit except the very smallest ones, for which the BMS can actively shunt the excess energy and balance the cells at the same time, so this isn't particularly troublesome.
The cheapie panels I see on Amazon for $20 don't have any regulation, but balance circuits are fairly cheap for the common supercap sizes on the market and can easily handle a few watts of extra juice.

Quote:
That depends how much the subfreezing is. My battery gets warm after 5seconds at 3C to pre heat the glow plugs and 2-3 seconds at 8C to crank the engine. Further charge will warm it up a bit more. This may cover the typical usage. If not ,there are ways around it. For minus 20C or below it might be troublesome, even for lead acids. Here the capacitor would be a welcome extra.
I had wondered how much of an issue freezing was considering that the battery will quickly heat up with use. I'd still be hesitant to run it during the coldest days in the Portland area, which might be 15 F. I'd have no concern if with the battery in the passenger compartment.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!