View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
OilFilter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
A hydraulic accumulator will not work since the steering box bypasses fluid when there is no power assist needed to turn the wheel.
Alright, what about some solenoid valves around the box to bypass fluid when it isn't needed? Or a solenoid to turn the accumulator off when no power is wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Just forget about the accumulator. The power steering system works completely opposite of what you would need to make an accumulator work.
From my googling I get a rough number of 2-4gpm of flow requirement for PS boxes. No idea what mine actually uses. But let's say you have a one gallon accumulator at 3000 PSI and your steering box needs 3GPM at 1000PSI. You should be able to have full power steering for 1 full minute with that reservoir and a regulator and no other power input. That would be much more than one turn or stop. And I really only need power steering when the vehicle isn't moving, any other time the solenoid valves could be off.

They have been doing a system like this for the hydroboost brakes in bigger trucks recently. They have an electric hydraulic pump and a small accumulator in the event of power loss. I'd like to do my brakes like that with a totally separate pump for it.

I'm just curious, how do you plan on turning your pump on and off? Manual switch? Or?

Last edited by OilFilter; 10-18-2015 at 08:25 PM..