Thread: Repair costs
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
Repair costs

I randomly clicked on Carguru Auto Warranty | Your Source For Extended Car Warranties and found this goldmine:
Quote:
The average American household spends $3,269 a year on dealership maintenance and body shop repairs.
I may have done that in the last twelve months of my Prelude, money that would have been infinitely better spent replacing the car. Something happened, and my mechanic told me that he just needed to fix one thing, but then he found another, and yet one more, so pretty much Gandalf's plan for convincing Beorn to let Bilbo and the dwarves stay with him, one or two at a time, not overwhelming with all at once.

I do not believe that I have ever had a dealership work on one of my cars. I am not sure how it usually works out, but Subaru estimated $3,500 to replace the head gasket on my Forester, and ten other shops estimated between $1,500 and two thousand, so around half as much, but all of them recommended selling it as-is.

I do not remember how my Prelude was driving after all of those repairs, just that the transmission went out shortly thereafter, and then the car was towed--pretty much a typical Xist story.

I found it reposted word for word twice and rephrased once. t is exactly the same here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/high-...ohn-kosmeh-phd until "The Solution is to Extend Your Car's Warranty," which they change to:

Quote:
The Solution is NOT an expensive extended warranty.

It is a new amazing service called Vehicle Repair Assist Plus.
So, it sounds like they stole someone else's ad, and changed it for their product. They claim to pay twenty percent of all negotiated repair bills, so will they actually negotiate them up 25%, negotiate them down and consider that their payment, or what? It is thirty dollars a month, which is 50% of my average monthly repair expense.

HowStuffWorks actually gives the source, but it seems to be a dead link, and when I search for it, I find false positives. They then say "In fact, owners of many new trucks and sedans can expect to pay between $1,500 and $3,000 as they perform scheduled maintenance on their way to reaching the six-digit mileage mark," which does not include body work.

That is total. I found the source: The 100,000-Mile Scheduled Maintenance Cost of Automotive Best Sellers - Edmunds.com and they never mention annual costs, but have a table for regularly scheduled maintenance:

It shows estimates for the ten most popular cars for repairs to 75,000 miles, scheduled maintenance to 75,000 miles, and scheduled maintenance to 100k. It does not give estimates for repairs to 100,000. I added the repairs and maintenance scheduled and calculated cost per 15,000 miles (year):

I imagine that most repairs by 75,000 miles were under warranty, with vehicles requiring slightly more repairs each year, but over three thousand a year still seems unrealistic to me.

I found the $3,269 article thanks to the Internet Archive and it just says "according to Bundle data." It compared individual states and linked them at the end, but I could not get them to load.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair costs.png
Views:	110
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	18924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair costs2.png
Views:	114
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	18925  

Last edited by Xist; 10-23-2015 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Thanks JamesQF! :)