Thread: I'm confused
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusi View Post
But are all of you 100% sure that tire pressure doesn't affect grip? .......
There is a grip loss, but the drop off in grip isn't a straight line.

Quote:
.....Anyways, I've read that tires with high pressure tend to wear down faster from the centre than from the sides. .....
You will see lots of disagreement on this point, but there is a tendency towards center wear with elevated inflation pressure, but there are other factors that contribute more, so it is not always easy to see.

Quote:
........ Do you strongly recommend me inflating my tires way further than those recommended by the manufacturer? (I think maximum PSI for my tires is 50. Must check). ........
I'm kind of the odd man out here, but I don't think the increased inflation pressure is such a good idea. It also causes groove wander, harsh ride, and increased impact and puncture damage.

Quote:
........ It's quite strange that I don't lose any grip with a higher tire pressure. ......
You will find many people for whom the increased fuel economy out weighs any other factor - and some will even deny that there are any negative issues.
Quote:
....... So, what pressure would you recommend me, if my car weights a total of 1370 kg + 55 kg (me)?
Keep in mind that sometimes I'll carry up to 5 people + charge in the trunk (+350 kg)
Personally, I recommend no more than 5 psi (0.3 bar) above the pressure listed on the vehicle tire placard.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!