View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
BrandonMods
EcoModding Apprentice

Champagne - '13 Chevy Cruze 1LT
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)
The cruze alternator uses RVC (regulated voltage control) technology already to improve fuel economy by reducing voltage being sent to the battery when the battery is fully charged. So instead of producing 14V continuously it will drop down to 12.5V and reduce the pull on the engine in order to provide power to the vehicles electronics. I guess it could be considered charging cycle on and off. Once a the battery drops to a pre-determined level of charge to alternator voltage will increase back to 14v in order to recharge the battery. The technology is already similar to I-eloop in reducing alternator load. I still think however that the system can be further improved using the I-eloop.

The alternator also enters a "batter recharge" mode when decelerating (turns up to 14v). This explains why the I-eloop is more efficient as the alternator will vary the voltage to smoothly fill the capacitor bank. I am more curious now to figure out the recharge efficiency of the recharge cycle on the cruze alternator.

This will be the starting point:

The alternator max recharge voltage: I have seen this as high as 14.4 on the DIC.
Going forward will measure battery voltage realtime and see how efficient the "recharge" cycle is on the alternator when decelerating.

This will then be compared to using the same recharge voltage of 14V to attempt a charge up on a capacitor bank. The capacitor bank charge will then be compared to the voltage gain on the batter. The energy stored will then be compared in Joules.

Comments, and advice are appreciated.