View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Here is something that will help remove moisture, without robbing your EV of precious energy:
The dash sock (silica gel to prevent frost forming on windows)

I have a couple of those with kitty litter
They do a good job removing excess moisture, but once one gets into the car the condensation from 3 people breathing quickly fogs the windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
From what I've read, the gel will need to be recharged in the oven every few months. A few months gets me through winter, so this might be a once a year process for me.
I have two large socks and recharge them every month or so, when they start to feel visibly wet. If it rains a lot (I'm in Britain) I may have to do it every fortnight. Take out the crystals and put them on a tray on the oven with the fan on for a couple hours.

I like the "All dash" idea. How many Kg does it take? I'm currently using about 1Kg on each sock. As mentioned this is just about enough to prevent condensation if it is not raining outside and I'm the only one on the car. All other cases, dehumidifier on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The reason I resorted to this is that I'm on the very bleeding edge of being able to complete my 14 mile roundtrip commute in EV mode in the Prius. I've had 3 successful trips, but the last 2 the engine kicked on at the last half mile. I suspect loosing daylight and having to run my lights has something to do with the recent failures.
Cool. Can you disable the DC-DC converter on the Prius at all? I have mine in manual mode for when its needed. The 40Ah LiFePO4 feeds all the 12V loads. Driving 27-30 miles seems to use about 35% of capacity at night if I keep the Blower fan off (I need to replace the variable speed resistor with a PWM circuit). The terminal voltage is also higher (stable 12.5-13V).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Mine is 21 watts, worked great for my EV.
I'm curious. Can you give some some more details? How much moisture do you remove on a typical 30m drive? or do you keep it on when plugged in?