View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
On the way to see the Vee Dub, we discussed the Mazda 3, which he said the styling is terrible and I tend to agree, although I place next to no value on aesthetics. He was receptive to the Fit and Focus, but alas, the Golf won him over.

It was clearly well taken care of, but at 64,000 miles, I think it's nearing the timing belt interval. I'm surprised to see the VW warranty is for 5 years and 60,000 miles, which seems shorter than nearly everything else out there. There was a campaign to reprogram the ECU for emission purposes and the car has had the update, unfortunately. Perhaps a 3rd party reflash will undue the MPG hit some people are reporting. I think the update made the car run the same as if it was undergoing smog testing (undid the emission defeat programming) and also increased the frequency of the DPF regens, which will hurt fuel economy.

My friend has all but purchased the vehicle, so it looks like I'll become intimately familiar with how the Mk VI Golf works.

I'll have to research deleting the DPF which will probably require some modification to the EGR, I would assume. With the increased frequency of regen occurring, I suspect there will be many problems with early failure of the emission equipment.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!