View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
HiFlite
EcoModding Lurker

Hondas, until perhaps recently, I've always found insufferably noisy, especially so in the lower end of the frequency range. Low frequencies, once created, basically can only be killed off by adding mass, though panels trying to resonate in sympathy can be dampened. I think Honda's big fail must lie with their design of suspension bushings which play a big role in transmission of road noise into body structures. My 1999 Toyota Solara was tomb quiet compared to the same year Accord and I doubt if the difference was due to "sound proofing".

Others are much better at isolation; I noticed fairly recently that my Chevy Volt even uses composite, rather than steel, sway bar end links for that purpose.

So far I've found Second Skin Damplifier covered with Dynamat's Dynaliner foam to be both effective and easy to work with. (The tar-based stuff is messy, smelly, and heavy.)

I've also found, especially for stereo purposes, doing the inside of the front door skins is the single most effective location, followed by underside of the roof, rear doors, trunk rear surface, trunk upper surface, trunk floor, then lastly, passenger compartment floor.

Seldom-mentioned, I also consider damping material on door beams and cross braces between the rear seat and trunk to be a good idea - they will ring like tuning forks without much provocation.

Also, stay away from tires restricted to rolling only in one direction. Rolling in a single direction often causes the individual blocks of rubber on the tread to cup, creating a racket that increases with age.