View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Got part of the front pan done today. I cranked the wheels to one side and realized I couldn't go back very far before the tire would hit. I decided to split it into 3 sections, the middle (the width between the lower control arms) and the two sides in front of the wheels. I did the middle today because it can go back pretty far and it happened to be the same width as the left over coroplast from the passenger running board.

Took it for a test drive that included a few miles of 60MPH freeway and everything survived.

If anyone is curious how I go about sizing and installing the belly pan pieces, here's a quick rundown. First I figure out what area I want the piece to cover. Sounds obvious, but there are many things to consider such as how far the wheels move when turned, suspension travel, and accessibility for maintenance (I stopped this piece before the oil drain and filter). I then get a rough measurement of the area and cut the coroplast. Good ol' fashioned trial and error is used to get the piece cut to fit correctly, so lots of trips under the car.

For the zip tie locations, I look for existing holes or brackets I can loop over. You may have to add some framework. I measure and mark them on the coroplast like plotting points on a graph (over 6", up 12"). To make the holes I use a utility knife to cut one side, making sure it's oriented correctly, stick a small flat-head screwdriver through to open the hole, and press down to mark the other side. Then I flip the piece, cut through the marks, and use the screwdriver to open them. This gives me holes that are just big enough for the zip ties and avoid cutting the flutes.

To mount the piece of Ecomodder art, start at one edge and put its zip ties though. I started with the bumper lip and running board lips edge. I don't necessarily start zipping them, the just-big-enough holes grip the tie quite well and allow me to remove them if I need to later in the process. Then I work my way from that edge to the opposite edge, sticking zip ties up, wrapping them through the hole or around the designated holding object, and back through the coroplast. When all the ties are in their proper places, I begin zipping them a little bit at a time until they're as tight as they need to be. I used 8" and 11" UV resistant zip ties, occasionally doubling them up for additional length.

Here's a picture from halfway through the mounting process. None of the shown zip ties are zipped yet, it's just the bumper lip at the front and the tails of the two middle zip ties holding it up.

I'm done with working on the truck for the weekend, sliding around under the truck gets old after a while. The next things will be the sides of the front and the bottom of the control arms. I'll also start experimenting with the partial bed cover (then I don't have to lay under the truck).

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-26-2015)