View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Except that there are people who've lived there ever since it happened.
No , they do not .. Take off those rosy biased glasses and look closer objectively .. they do not live in the area I was referencing .. The cafe with 39x natural rates .. the Cematery with 64x natural rates .. etc .. They do not live in those types of areas .. they live in other far safer areas with far lower rates.

It is not a black and white same rate for the entire area .. As if it is all equally good or all equally bad .. As I already posted about .. it varies and over time the lowering rate areas can be justified to shrink the old exclusion zone coverage to the areas with remaining high enough rate to still need that designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
The event area exposure samples still ranged from as low as natural (good)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
justifying shrinking the 'exclusion-zone' over time as the risks continue to reduce
- - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Even if we arrive at the conclusion that the accident at Chernobyl caused a dangerous zone to live in, what am I to conclude other than that I would rather not live in Chernobyl?
I'd say lots of things these being just a few off the top of my head:
  • We don't want to repeat the same mistakes and make more of those types of places... As the saying goes , 'Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it'.
  • Lots of progress has been made sense than .. partially a result of the event itself.
  • Less likely to happen at all on newer designs ... partially a result of the event itself.
  • Less likely to be as bad on newer designs even if it ever did happen .. partially a result of the event itself.
  • More able to do a better job on clean up today than they did back then... partially a result of the event itself.
  • Even if it did happen , it isn't thousands of years .. at most , it's maybe a few generations .. several decades of remediation.
  • It isn't evil or a boogyman... but it does have it's problems
  • It isn't a white knight savior solution to all our problems... but it does have it's benefits.
  • It's better to be accurate than to be for it or against it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamIan For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (10-27-2015), redpoint5 (10-26-2015)