View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #2249 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
Sounds good so far. I'll read it in detail later

3 pins extra is cutting it close, but from what I've seen you've already included most of the bits that others would classify as 'future'
I totally agree. Unfortunately, that series only has 35 pins max. The reason(s) I like them is that are connected straight off the board with some (15mm) component room, not at 90*. Most of the comparable connectors are 90* to the board and/or cost a fortune..

On one hand, I think the pin count problem can be reduced by sharing ground and vdd pins. Most of the I/O connectors on the board have vdd/vss pins in addition to the data pins.
If that's not a good solution, using an additional connector would work fine, too. However, these connectors take a lot of board space - there's 2mm between rows of pins and 4mm between pins.

Quote:
I'll never say NO to more memory and more communications. $2 seems like a small adder. You mention the soldering would be about the same .. what about the number of layers on the PCB to deal with the extra pins?
Yeah, more memory can't hurt - and it's cheaper too. I have no idea about needing extra layers for these IC's in general. It would probably be better to use a 4 layer board with a dedicated ground plane, etc. I don't think there's any difference between the 64 pin and the 80 pin chip from that perspective. All the VDD and VSS pins are similarly arranged near the center of the sides. The 80 pin chip has dedicated AVdd and AVss pins near the analog input pins.
Quote:
Is the CAN hardware the controller only? Do you need a driver chip for the physical interface? I guess I should look for myself
I think the CAN hardware is controller only - it needs a driver IC. The 80 pin 6010A IC has two CAN ports, if that's wanted. If I remember correctly, the driver IC on the Revolt board has resources for two CAN buses.

One really nice thing about the 80 pin 6010A is that there are 16 dedicated analog input pins, compared to 8 for the 4011. These pins are pretty much just analog inputs, except they are shared by the QEI and programming pins. There's no other option for QEI, but the programming pins can be moved.

- E*clipse