View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bror Jace
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Lightbulb

I thought long and hard about how to attach side skirts to a car without drilling into the fender lip. I came up with two ideas:

Option 1: Make tabs from scrap aluminum, steel or very thick plastic (strong stuff, like nylon) bent at 90 degree angles. You might want to pre-drill a small screw hole into these tabs. Glue these onto the fender lip wioth epoxy putty or commercial construction adhesive and each tab becomes an attachment point for the skirt. Use a small (button-head if possible) screw to secure the skirt to each tab. I would think you'll need a minimum of 4-5 tabs per wheel well.

Option 2: When you form your skirt, be sure to leave enough plastic around the edges so that you can form multiple tabs. Bend these 90 degrees and secure them to the fender well lip with a small binder clip. I would think 6 clipped tabs would be minimum for an average wheel well. It depends how secure each clip is.

Depending on the shape (curvature) of the wheel well, you may need additional structure in the form of a metal brace running along the bottom of the skirt to keep the skirt curved (slightly) and away from the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skirt Fasteners.gif
Views:	130
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	1339