View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Who
UnderModded

Pablo - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD
90 day: 23.62 mpg (US)
Anyone have two kill-o-watts so they can find out how much a kill-o-watt uses?

I have the WattsUp Pro that graphs and found it invaluable for doing run time optimization with a new boiler installed last winter. You could tell when it was idle (14 watts for the controller), when the pump was active (70 watts more), and when it was ignited, the approximate fan speeds all by fixed time intervals (20 to 50 watts more depending on modulation).

I was tempted to get a newer one that had more data storage (as it uses up each time interval range, it basically just uses every other data point and then records on the newly liberated second half so it can go on and on and on with wider and wider data acquisition intervals, although data was quite good over 24 hour periods) to smoothen out graphing and make it more precise for longer runs. I held off... Then I was tempted by it being USB instead of serial as those ports slowly disappear. The latest is web-server functionality so you can monitor it online. I think that last feature might be the real wallet-spreader. It's coming in February, so I'll have to remind SWMBO I have one of those gift-receiving occasions that month!

https://www.doubleed.com/secure/products.php