View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #313 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Even a stationary windmill is very inefficient the only way it works is because it is harvesting energy that's generated by the sun.
Where were you when I was taking that final May of last year?! It was something like "All renewable energy is derived from:"

I am guessing that "Jet fuel cannot melt steel" was the incorrect answer...

Hopefully, it was not actually "all..."

Quote:
Most renewable energy comes either directly or indirectly from the sun. [...]
I am not sure that he explained that wind was solar-powered. Do breezes subside at night? They mention that, winds and the sun cause evaporation, and rainwater generates hydroelectric power. Precipitation and sunlight cause plants to grow, which is needed for biomass.

Quote:
And the energy of the ocean's tides come from the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun upon the Earth.
Solar again! Except, the first Google result told me that the sun only pulled 3% as hard as the moon. However, the main page adds "The sun also warms the surface of the ocean more than the ocean depths, creating a temperature difference that can be used as an energy source."

Importance of Renewable Energy and Types of Renewable Energy Resources

Orange, you must have known all of that, but I am pretty sure that professor did not describe all of that, or mention that geothermal did not have anything to do with Sol.