View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #376 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMods View Post
At what point with a turbocharged engine is running lean a bad thing? I have my intercooler inlet on the bumper blocked off and am considering blocking off the radiator inlet with cooler temperatures approaching. I noticed last year with the intercooler inlet block that I started getting pre-detonation with spring warming temperatures. Upon removal of the intercooler block they went away. Seeing how you have extensive experience with turbos and running lean I figured you would be the best person to consult. School me o wise one
Great question.
This depends on the engine. The compression ratio will be the biggest factor, then the combustion chamber.

I'm running a very low compression ratio, around 8.4:1. I can get away with running up to 8psi and 20:1 A/F at 90*F IAT. As soon as the outside temps start dropping down below freezing I'm going to run a full grill block to bring up engine bay temps.

So to answer your question you will have to see what your particular engine can get away with? Start off with baby steps and keep an close eye on your knock sensor.

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
BrandonMods (11-07-2015)