View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Issac, there are 3 things very much flawed in your "If it works for the Golf Ball Imagine what it'll do to my car" logic.

1st A car is in ground effect, the golf ball is in free air. It makes a very significant difference.

2nd There is a property of a fluid to act differently to one size object vs another. The smaller the item in question the "Thicker" more viscous the fluid seems. The difference the golf ball feels in comparison to a car is not unlike the difference between water and corn syrup. So how the golf ball sized objects react to modifications is going to be different than how a car sized object will react.

3rd your drawing is a drawing and is an exaggerated illustration of how the air is reacting to the 1.7" diameter sphere, while there is a significant difference between smooth and dimpled, this drawing really blows it out of proportion.

Many pages in this forum and else ware in the world regarding the effects of dimples and VG's and even the oft quoted Mitsubishi only shows a modicum of improvement. The Evo involved a very particular set of circumstances and a whole crapload of highly trained engineers and sophisticated equipment to eek out a very slight gain.

I hope you have fun thinking about these things and I really hope it is a primer for you to really dig in to the fundamentals of aerodynamics so you gain a good understanding of what will work well and what will probably yield only a slight gain.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-02-2016)