View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #46 (permalink)
xpedro01
xpedro01

This is Daox posting for xpedro01. I'm on his mailing list for email updates on the project and I asked Tom if I could share. He agreed, so enjoy!

============================

I know--you thought I had kicked the bucket. NO such luck. I am 89 now, so that means I am even slower than I was last summer. Actually, as always, I spread myself too thin. I think in my last note, while waiting for something to be shipped, the Insight was converted into a one passenger RV. I would plan on using RV parks for charge stations, so overnight would not be a problem. It has a .7cubic feet Fridge, a 10 inch cubed, 600 watt microwave, a single serve blender, a 1 quart slow or fast cooker, a single serve coffee pot, a 6 inch electric skillet, and a 22 inch TV, and DVD PLAYER that also serves as a monitor for a 10 inch computer. It is mounted so it can look forward or back. I located a six outlet 115 volt strip that has a switch for each outlet so that everything is plugged in all the time. It seems to have no problem. These very small items are mounted on a shelf on the refrigerator door so they all move together when you open its door. Where the spare used to go I have a Thetford smallest porta-potti to serve as a seat or toilet.

When I got ready to install the last axle, I discovered 1 of the 6 balls in the Honda Ujoint was missing, the shop was crowded with junk, and I could not find it. An order for an assortment of balls that covered all sizes consumed a couple of weeks. After another search we found 15 MM balls, and the Honda boys brought brought the axle back. Now I discovered one of the Nissan bearings was missing and a week long search yielded nothing. The final solution was to buy a used Leaf right side axle. All of this consumed a couple months. The hollow output shaft that encloses the axle allows for about 3 inches of axle movement, but is squeezed at the outer end so things will not fall apart. I could not get the axle to pop in. 3 more weeks wasted, but my very good neighbor with a sledge hammer, while I used a pipe with about a 6 to 1 leverage was pressing on it, succeeded to make it pop in. It then took a whole day (My size day) to reassemble the hub parts. I was now ready to pull the car outside and do a bunch of cleanup.

Then I discovered my next BIG error.

WHEN I had parked the Leaf, I put in PARK. It is an electric gearshift. As I discovered this week, both front wheels are locked. Do any of you know how get it into neutral?

The parking device is the round^black thingy above and to the right of the motor. If anyone has any ideas, please sound off. I do have the 63 pdfs that is the service manual. There are four wires going into the black cover and it is held on with 3 bolts. It is very accessible. All that is needed is to get it out of park. I will leave you all for now, but hope someone knows how, or knows someone, or has a link that might be helpful.
Bye for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf.jpg
Views:	2355
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	19055  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xpedro01 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-10-2015), Cd (11-10-2015), IamIan (11-11-2015), iveyjh (11-10-2015), MobilOne (11-11-2015), RedDevil (11-10-2015)