View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Everyone here is debating hill strategy.

The size of the hill is the determining factor and there is no STANDARD with which to compare.

You have both grade and length to consider and even more when you start looking at the terrain beyond the first hill.

I accelerate both uphill and downhill.

The perfect grade allows you to load the engine to it's highest efficiency when climbing the hill, then coasting downhill with the engine off, WITHOUT ANY CHANGE IN SPEED, WHICH ELIMINATES THE ADDITIONAL DRAG WHEN VELOCITIES INCREASE.

Downhill is NOT free, you paid for it uphill.

Less than the perfect grade or more means compromising your tactics.

With less you might P&G both uphill and downhill.

With more you should consider DWL and gradually losing speed in the climb so the highest speed downhill is not ticketable.

The best way to determine the best tactic is to test the downhill portion to determine how close it is to the perfect grade FOR YOUR CAR and its total drag, resisting your desired perfect coast that is continuous for that grade.

That "perfect" grade for YOUR car will not be perfect for MY car.
That "perfect" grade changes with the weather and season.

I have coasted downhill on the mountain near Virginia Tech and at 85 MPH I had to shift into gear to slow down to keep from ramming a big rig. That same grade without the big rig would be a 70mph max coast.

Every scenario is different, but one rule that I consider absolute is trying to a avoid high speeds and the exponential increase in drag, to say nothing of the lower incidence of court appearances.

regards
mech
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (11-11-2015), JRMichler (11-11-2015), PaleMelanesian (11-12-2015)